Saturday, November 14, 2015

Our InVitro Story

Monroe was conceived through In Vitro Fertilization on our first attempt in 2010.  After struggling with infertility for three years, we were ecstatic!  When she was conceived, we had five other embryos that were five days old and were frozen for future use.
Last summer we decided it was time to expand our family, so we started the IVF process again.  In July, after preparing my body, they placed two of the embryos in my uterus.  On August 4th, we got the news that it hadn't worked.  It was a big blow!  We decided to turn right around and try it again with the remaining embryos.  We felt this was our last chance.  We found out September 4th, that the result was negative again.  We were a little more prepared this time.  We both agreed that we were done with IVF.  It was emotionally exhausting and expensive.  We didn't want to be on that roller coaster anymore.  
In October, I met with our pastor and my gynecologist and told them each we were interested in adopting.  They both told me (politely) to not get my hopes up.  People don't give up their babies often anymore.  I also called the Nebraska Children's Home and inquired about adoption.  Their numbers at the time were so low that they weren't taking any names of perspective parents until January.  I called back in January and they set us up to attend a meeting in April.
We drove to Norfolk on April 8th.  The room was crowded with couples.  They gave us a lot of information, but we found most of it to be discouraging.  The previous year, the NCH had adopted out 30 children.  At the time of our meeting, there were already 85 couples completely through the process sitting on a list.  On our drive home that night, we decided adoption was not the way we wanted to go.  For the first time in 7 months, one of us brought up the option of IVF.  We agreed it would be no more stressful or emotionally exhausting than adoption.  And, we'd rather spend money than time.
I called the fertility clinic in May and we started the process again in June.  We decided to keep it a secret this time.
We did all of the prep work for IVF in July.  We spent a lot of time in Omaha.  There was one stretch that we were in Omaha every other day for a week and a half.  When they did the egg retrieval on July 29th, we found out they would not be doing a transfer right away because I had over stimulated. They had to bring my estrogen levels back down before they transferred the embryos.  I was really upset about this.  It would mean I would be doing the procedure once school started (harder to keep a secret) and I wouldn't have an April due date (shorter maternity leave).  I was also very worried about the success.  The two frozen transfers we had done before didn't work, and this would be a frozen transfer.  (Monroe had been a fresh transfer.)  They reassured me that the chances were better and that embryos are frozen differently than they were five years ago.   All we could do was trust them.
We did the transfer on September 8th.


These are the two embryos that we put in.
The doctors and nurses were all very positive that day.  We felt like they were almost giddy about the potential for success.  Our doctor told us to expect twins, but I wasn't hearing any of it.  We put in two and got one with Monroe, and then last summer we put in two twice and got zero.  Were we really going to get twins?
On September 16th we found out we were pregnant.   We did it!  I was four weeks along.  At 5 1/2 weeks I started feeling nauseous.  I was sick for 12 solid weeks with Monroe, so I wasn't surprised that I was sick again.  What did surprise me was how hungry and tired I was.  I didn't remember that part.  
At seven weeks (October 8th), we drove to Omaha to find out how many babies we had.  Zach thought it would be one and I thought two because of the hunger.  We were both wrong!  The ultrasound tech came in and started the ultrasound.  As she scanned my uterus, it showed three separate sacks and babies.  She quickly asked, "How many did we put in?"
We answered, "TWO!"  She scanned again and told us there were three, so she left and went to get our doctor.   When our doctor came in, she confirmed that we were pregnant with triplets.  One of the embryos had split, so two of the babies would be identical twins.  They were in their own sacks, which is really good for their survival in the womb.  All three babies had strong heart beats and were the correct size.  We left the clinic that day feeling overwhelmed and excited.
Baby A (singleton)

Baby B (identical twin)

Baby C (identical twin)

I am doctoring with my OBGYN in Grand Island.  There is a perinatologist who will meet with me when he is in town every two weeks.  We have had two more ultrasounds.  The babies look great and are growing at the same rate.
Our first picture of all three together.

  I am due May 26th, but my doctor expects a much sooner delivery.  He predicts that I will be on bedrest at 26-28 weeks (February) in order to get me to 30-32.  If I get to 30 weeks, I can deliver in Grand Island, so that is my goal.

Eight years and four InVitro procedures later, we're going to be a family of six.  Every moment was worth it!

2 comments:

  1. So happy you took the leap, so worth it!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. So exciting! If you need a long term sub...let me know! I'll come back to my roots! :)

    ReplyDelete