Monday, July 8, 2013

Paleo - Week 1

Zach and I have known for a while that we wanted to make a change in the way we eat.  We would both like to lose some weight, but more importantly, we want to feel and be healthy.  Also, as Monroe gets older, she is going to choose what she eats, and we want her to make healthy choices.
We have a few different friends that eat Paleo and have seen results, so Zach started researching it.  Paleo is known as the caveman diet.  Basically, you can eat anything that has not been processed.  So, vegetables, fruits, meats, eggs, and nuts.  This excludes all gluten, dairy, sugar, or anything else that has been processed.  
After reading The Paleo Solution by Rob Wolfe, and relaying story after story to me, Zach was convinced that this was something we should do.  I did my own research and agreed that this was a good choice for us.
We went grocery shopping last Saturday and started eating Paleo on Monday.  I plan to do a weekly update about how we are feeling and if we are liking this new way of eating.


Week 1

Weight loss: 
Erin - 3 pounds
Zach - 7 pounds

Pros:
1. We went to two 4th of July celebrations and didn't cheat once.  It really wasn't hard.  (We let Monroe cheat at both, but only if she asked for something specific that she saw on someone else's plate.)
2. We have not been hungry and we don't have the desire to snack all day. (We have one snack between lunch and supper.)
3. Other than giving her coconut milk and almond milk, Monroe is eating exactly what we are eating.  She is doing awesome!   I can already tell that her palette has changed.
4. Our palettes are changing.  I look forward to a piece of fruit, and vegetables aren't just something we have to eat anymore.  I want to eat them.  I also like meat more than I did before.

Cons:  
1. We spent over $300 on week one's groceries.  We bought a lot of staples that will last a long time.  We also have leftovers and four meals we haven't made yet. But we know it is going to be more expensive to eat this way.
2. I have felt weak at times and easily tired.  Zach read that this is expected at first because my body is used to getting its energy from carbs.  Now it has to get it from fat.

Favorite new recipes:
guacamole eggs, lemon dijon pork tenderloin, coconut curry frittata, meaty taco salad, chocolate walnut truffles, 

2 comments:

  1. I am glad your week 1 went so great! I look forward to your updates. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you post some good recipes! We could eat a little healthier around here, too. :)

    ReplyDelete